Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Attack Phase Day 1

It starts today. The whole trying to get healthy thing.

I used to be skinny. Then I had two kids and developed a raging cookie addiction. More of a sugar addiction really. I will devour anything with sugar in it and not even notice how much I've eaten.

My mother told me about this great new diet she's trying. I've never been a fan of diets because anything that leaves me hungry at the end of the day just isn't going to last. This diet though, after having read about it in great detail, really doesn't seem that difficult to follow. The Dukan diet is a low carb/low fat diet in 4 stages. I'm not going to go into it in great detail, all the information you need regarding it is available on line in mass amounts.

Today is my first day. Attack phase (bam!) day 1.

Having purchased a scale (my old one got thrown out some months back because I felt it was very mean) I weighed myself first thing in the morning (after the potty visit) and will continue to do so every morning because if I don't I will not stick with it. Yesterday i also took the dreaded "before pics". I'm not going to torture anyone with those...
My starting weight, as of this morning, is 185.2 lbs. This is way more than I had imagined I weighed so diet couldn't come at a better time. Need to get healthy not just for me but also for the kids.
I should probably mention height too, 5'7". My ideal weight is 140lbs. That used to be my happy weight, not too skinny and not too flabby. I have no aspirations to be a size 0, that's just silly, a nice 8-10 is good enough for me. Current clothing size is 14/XXL (sometimes I can squeeze into a 13, depending on the brand).

This blog will probably happen every day for the first week and then slowly taper off as the weight loss slows down, as it inevitably will, because I don't want to bore anyone with the same old same old...

The first phase, the Attack Phase (bam!), is supposed to last 5-7 days and consists of lean protein, fat free dairy, 1.5 tbsp of oat bran and at least 1.5 litres of water per day. Also required is a 20 minute brisk walk. Some days I will substitute this walk for 20 minutes on my exercise bike, because I like being indoors.

So far today I've eaten scrambled egg whites (the box kind.. never again), fat free Greek yoghurt with splenda/cinnamon and the oat bran, about 3/4 litres of water and some fat/sugar free lime jello. All which falls within the allowed foods. For lunch I plan to eat steak (yay) pan fried with no oil/butter with some seasoning on it. For supper I really don't know yet, probably some fish and eggs.

I'm feeling the pull for carbs right now, my body is just realizing it's being deprived. I read that the first 2-3 days are the worst, as with any addiction. I'm hoping I have enough willpower to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment